Wood Destroying Pests (Termite) Inspection Specifics

The specifics straight down to the nitty gritty:

External Inspection: In general; places where there is moisture or cellulose.

  • Drainage: Water troughs that run along side your roofs and into down spouts; should be contiguous.
  • Natural flow of water away from your foundation. Like your roof, the ground surrounding your foundation should be slightly sloped to allow water to flow away from your foundation and ultimately to a civic drainage system. Water damage to the external walls; paint discoloration; molds, moldy smell etc.
  • Water (hose) outlets: Leaking? Water Buildup permeating the foundation? Adequate drainage from the foundation?
  • Cellulose deposits: Firewood? Anything with cellulose. How is Cellulose materials stored? Off of the ground or In contact with the soil? All wood should be raised (bricks under pallet,etc.) Against the foundation? Wood should not come in contact with any of the external walls of the home; I recommend at least 2 feet of space.
  • Soil levels on the foundation; should be less than 2 inches from the top of the concrete slab.
  • Does the customer have a wooden fence? If so, do wooden posts run right into the ground? Any wood to soil contact?
  • Any signs of termite activity (mud tubes, wings)…both inactive and active; I also look for previous termite treatments.

Internal Inspection:

  • I am looking primarily at the places where moisture is present. Kitchens, Bathrooms, Mud rooms, and around HVAC entry/exit points. I am checking for signs of water damage; rots, mold, fungi, etc.
  • I look at all windows and doors or other entry points on all external walls. I am looking for bulges and other irregularities in the wood. Using a stethoscope and if necessary; various probes I will look for various types of termite indicators (inactive/active).

This is basically what I would look for. I tried to keep it very simple as to give you a clue as to what your inspector might be looking for. Hopefully this will help you when preparing to have a termite inspection. These guidelines may help; but are no guarantee for a passing report.

If you do not receive an “all-clear” report; you will be notified of issues found during the inspection. Generally you are given a period of time to get these problems fixed; and the report amended. Good Luck.


Bulwark Exterminating


BlogPestControl.Com Administrator

View all posts by

2 thoughts on “Wood Destroying Pests (Termite) Inspection Specifics

  1. When it comes to termites, prevention is key. So, you should not leave firewood stacked up against your home. At DQ Pest Control in New York we recently invested in having a basset hound named trained to detect termites. He is now a certified detection dog and when it comes down to it he can do the best termite inspections. http://www.dqpestcontrol.com

  2. Wood Destroying Organisms (WDO)

    A Wood Destroying Organism inspection consists of a complete inspection of your home or business for subterranean termites, dry wood termites, wood-boring beetles and wood-decaying fungi. Only Florida State Certified WDO inspectors specially trained are allowed to perform the inspection. The scope of the inspection normally includes any structure on the property including fences(where they attach to the structure), storage buildings, playsets and garages.

    WDO Inspections

    WDO inspections are required by most lenders when you refinance your home or when purchasing a new home. The inspection must be performed prior to closing. Please allow ample time in the event a wood-destroying organism is found and treatment is necessary. Buggin Out Termite and Pest Control Inc. will perform a thorough inspection of your property to detect areas of active infestation or pre-existing damage by WDO. WDO include Wood rot decay, Ambrosia beetles, Lyctid, Bostrichid, Anobiid, Old Hose Borer beetles, subterranean termites and dry wood termites. Only a highly trained WDO inspector is qualified to identify these pests.

    After the inspection Buggin Out will deliver the results of our inspection on the State Inspection Form, photos of damage or infestation, and any additional documentation to the homeowner or their designated agent. Buggin Out can also provide the extra documentation required for HUD loans.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *