A 10-year-old Billings, Montana boy passed away this week after suffering from an infection caused by a Brown Recluse spider bite. The boy, one Keith Pierce, was brought to St. Vincent Hospital on September 30, 2014 after his mother noticed his legs began to swell. At first, the doctors were worried the swelling in the legs might be cancer; that was until a spot on the boy’s leg was discovered. In extreme pain, doctors performed emergency surgery, in which Keith never awoke from. The boys family ended resuscitation efforts, and the cause of death was determined to be caused by an infection from a Brown Recluse spider bite.
Brown Recluse Spider Bites
Brown Recluse spiders are extremely venomous spiders, and it will bite humans. Bites generally happens by accident when someone is moving boxes, putting on clothing that has been left on the floor, or digging around in a seldom used basement or closet. When a Brown Recluse spider gets unintentionally trapped against a person’s body, it feels threatened and will bite. Use caution while putting on clothes, getting into bed, and when handling cardboard boxes.
Brown Recluse venom kills the living tissue near the bite site. Once bitten, the infected are will turn a red and bluish-white or bluish-grey in color. The wound may fester and linger when it becomes infected.
The Brown Recluse bite can be quite painful, and the pain will last for several days. If bitten by a Brown Recluse spider, seek medical attention as symptoms can become life threatening. Untreated bites have been associated with the loss of appendages.