Pest Control Operator Tips- 12 Ways to Build a Better Day
As pest control operators, our days are filled with ups and downs. We find joy in being able to help our customers eliminate serious pest problems, but we also find it challenging to juggle our day-to-day priorities. We must balance our sales, marketing, and managing efforts; with training our employees, scheduling and billing our customers, and making sure we meet overheadâ€¦ All while balancing family, community, and even religious obligations.
While we are making our customerâ€™s days better, sometimes our days suffer.
Here are a few tips pest control operators can do to ensure you have a great workday:
1. Â Begin each day with positive visualization. Visualize your day. Close your eyes and visualize how well your day will go. Take 15 minutes every morning, before you even check your email or daily service routes, and give yourself a few positive affirmations. Focus in on all the positive attributes you have.
2. Â Plaster a big smile across your face. Even if you donâ€™t feel like smiling, just fake it. Experts say that the act of smiling, even if itâ€™s not genuine, will naturally force you to be happy and will reduce stress. Positive, cheerful and appreciative states of being never made anyone perform less effectively.
3. Â Make the most out of your commute. Whether youâ€™re in your car, or taking the bus, make the most out of this time by listen to some positive upbeat music. Take a few minutes to read a motivating book, or listen to an inspiring book on tape. This will surely get you pumped for the day!
4. Â Stay organized. This tip is self explanatory, but is often times neglected by pest control operators. Having your service routes, customers, emails, and computers neat and organized will go along way in reducing your stress levels and can eliminate a lot of frustration.
5. Â Set daily goals. Before you get into the office, or hit the road on sales or service calls, write down one big goal for the day. Follow that goal up with a few smaller goals that will help you reach your big goal. Doing this will ensure your day is focused and driven on an objective.
6. Â Do the dayâ€™s most challenging thing first. Itâ€™s human nature to procrastinate, and pest control operators are no different. If you knock out the dayâ€™s most difficult task first, you wonâ€™t have to worry or stress about it all day long. Taking this route will make the day feel easier and youâ€™ll have less inner resistance to getting the rest of the tasks of the day done.
7. Â Connect with customers and coworkers. While at work get to know your colleagues and your customers. Ask them about their lives. Build rapport. Doing so will not only make you a better pest control operator, but will help you feel connected to the world as a whole. You will be happier.
8. Â Take breaks and lunches. Following up on the previous tip, take lunches and breaks with your pest control colleagues and employees. Not only will you feel more connected, you will also break up your day and feel less stressed. Many pest control operators just find the nearest drive thru between service calls, or skip lunch all together. Make an effort to avoid doing this. It alsoÂ wouldn’tÂ hurt to choose something healthy to eat either.
9. Â Stay away from negative people. Almost every office has a few of these people. These people may dislike their job or are just cynical in nature. Do your best to keep your distance as they will bring down your positive attitudeÂ you’veÂ worked so hard on establishing all day. When these people become unavoidable, learn to shrug them off.Â Replacing their negative voices with more positive influences is very powerful. It can be like a whole new world opening up.
10. Â Just have fun. Pest control and fun sound like a complete oxymoron, I know. Try to remember why you got into this business. Find joy in the little things like helping the little old lady with her spiders. Learn to laugh.
11. Â Go home on time. Try to wrap up your day with 15 minutes to spare. Take those last few minutes to finish up, to organize the next day, and to clean up. Get home to have dinner with your family. Make sure your life has balance.
12. Â Reflect on the day. Before you go to bed, take a few minutes and ponder the things you did well, and the things youâ€™d like to improve on. Writing these things down in a journal is very helpful. Give thanks and show gratitude for everything you have, and everything you accomplished during the day.
I know these tips can be a challenge at timesâ€¦ Everything worth doing is. I personally challenge each and every pest control operator out there to try these twelve tips, everyday for a week. See how much better your day can be. Yes, they work!
Have any other tips? Let me know!