Pest Control and Bug Exterminator Blog

Informative Interesting Perspectives about Bug Exterminators and The Pest Control Industry

Bed Bugs Infesting Hotels

You are here: Home » Bed Bugs Infesting Hotels

Hotels take bed bugs very seriously, and if they don’t, they should. An alarming number of 4 and 5 star hotels have had issues with bed bugs in recent decades, and the process of eradication is costly and extreme. A hotel must not only seal off the infected room, it must also place all adjacent rooms – including above and below – out of service to be treated as well. This means that between 4 – 12 rooms are placed out of service while a pest control operator comes in to treat the rooms at two separate times. This means that the hotel is paying for the following:

• 12 rooms lost profit for 5-7 days – could be $25,000 – $50,000 for nice hotels
  • 2 rounds of pesticides – $1,000 – $3,000 for all rooms
  • 2 inspections – variable
  • Total cost for bed bugs: $50,000 – $60,000

This cost does not factor in loss of business as a result of the public finding out about the infestation and taking their business elsewhere.

If you enjoyed this article, Get email updates (It’s Free)

About

7 Responses

1. Karl The BugMan says

These are some very nice statistics. I think all businesses need to be aware of these Bed bugs as well.

Karl the BugMan
    Columbus Ohio Pest Control

2. Ken says

Wow! I didn’t think that hotels can also be infected with this stupid bed bugs.. I thought termite can only do this of spreading.. I don’t actually, don’t have problems about bed bugs but termite it’s a big problem for me..

3. anderapadoker says

Hi this is not only the case of hotels it should be take seriously for homes too. Always perform inspection for bugs and then controlled

free termite inspection los angeles

4. Bill Sanders says

We even have issues with people coming back to the Northwest from Las Vegas and bringing the bed bugs with them. This is especially true when people are staying at the very large, very expensive hotels in Las Vegas. We obviously can’t point out which ones, but let me suffice it to say that the Las Vegas hotels are having problems just like the rest of the country. Pest control for bed bugs should be done preemptively in higher risk areas. We keep stressing this to our commercial customers for the exact reasons you just pointed out in your article. Anyhow, it was very well written and is an excellent illustration of the real cost of bed bugs.

5. Tim Brock says

It is alarming. I have read of other figures that say Bed Bugs are doubling each year in the US and the UK. Thanks for the info.

6. The London Bed Bugs Company says

Most hotels take it serious, I carry out many inspections and treatments across London. I do not think it is something the larger hotels would take a risk with, not so sure with the smaller ones, depends on if they have something in place to monitor and I guess it depends on the owner.

7. SkyJBee says

It’s funny that I’m reading this today. I just returned from vacation and we had to wait for our room because of pest management. Because they were over booked they rushed the job and the room smelled of chemicals. Needless to say we received an upgrade.